Myanmar's ruling military declares a ceasefire
Digest more
Top News
Overview
Impacts
The Associated Press |
Myanmar's ruling military declared a temporary ceasefire in the country's civil war Wednesday to facilitate relief efforts following a 7.7 magnitude earthquake that has killed more than 3,000 people.
Fox News |
More than 3,000 people have now died from the 7.7 magnitude earthquake that struck Burma last week, which destroyed thousands of buildings and sent the war-torn country into a deeper humanitarian cris...
Reuters |
The death toll from Myanmar's devastating earthquake has surpassed 3,000, with hundreds more missing, as forecasts of unseasonal rain presented a new challenge for rescue and aid workers trying to re...
Read more on News Digest
As the junta leader shook hands in Bangkok, the UN said it had received 14 reports of attacks – including from aircraft, drones and artillery – despite a promised halt to the bombing after the earthquake.
Myanmar's military is limiting critically needed humanitarian aid for earthquake victims in areas where it sees opposition to its rule, the United Nations human rights office said.
Myanmar’s military has continued to launch airstrikes and other attacks against opposition forces in the devastated country, one week since a 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck and despite agreeing to a ceasefire,
The death toll from Myanmar's devastating earthquake climbed to 3,354, with 4,850 injured and 220 missing, state media said on Saturday, as the visiting U.N. aid chief praised humanitarian and community groups for leading the aid response.
Despite declaring a ceasefire on April 2, Myanmar's regime continues its violent crackdown, bombing civilian areas and conducting ground raids. Watch Dr. Tayzar San, a prominent pro-democracy activist from Mandalay who has been on the ground in resistance-controlled areas— and is even helping earthquake victims in those areas—comment on the regime’s ceasefire claims.
Explore more
Myanmar's ostracised junta chief met the leaders of India and Thailand during a regional summit in Bangkok on Friday, and the U.N. said his military was limiting humanitarian aid following the earthquake that killed over 3,
A joint statement issued by the Quad, which groups India, Australia, Japan and the US, welcomed “recent commitments to temporary, partial ceasefires”
Two survivors have been pulled from under the rubble of collapsed buildings in Myanmar, more than five days after the country was struck by a devastating 7.7 magnitude earthquake.